Pak Tea House » culture, sex, Society » In Pakistan, a Sex Industry Has Begun to Boom

In Pakistan, a Sex Industry Has Begun to Boom

SEX IN DEPTH
In Pakistan, a dark trade comes to light
By William Sparrow

BANGKOK – Prostitution in the Islamic nation of Pakistan, once relegated to dark alleys and small red-light districts, is now seeping into many neighborhoods of country’s urban centers. Reports indicate that since the period of civilian rule ended in 1977, times have changed and now the sex industry is bustling.

Early military governments and religious groups sought to reform areas like the famous “Taxali Gate” district of Lahore by displacing prostitutes and their families in an effort to “reinvent” the neighborhood.

While displacing the prostitutes might have temporarily made the once small red-light district a better neighborhood for a time, it did little to stop the now dispersed prostitutes from plying their trade. Reforming a neighborhood, instead of offering education and alternative opportunities, appears to be at the core of early failures to curb the nascent sex industry. This mistake would become a prophetic error as now the tendrils of the sex trade have become omnipresent in cities like Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Karachi and Lahore, not to mention towns, villages and rural outposts.

An aid worker for an Islamabad-based non-governmental organization (NGO) recently related a story: quickly after his arrival in the capital, he realized the house next to his own was a Chinese brothel. The Chinese ability to “franchise” the commercial sex industry by providing down-trodden Chinese women throughout Asia, North America and Europe would be admirable in a business sense if it were not for the atrocities – human trafficking, sexual slavery and exploitation – which cloud its practice.

Chinese bordellos, often operating as “massage parlors” or beauty salons, are across Pakistan, even spread even to war-torn and restive locations such as the Afghan capital Kabul. Chinese in the sex industry have developed a cunning ability to recognize areas where the demand for sex far outstrips the supply.

The NGO worker said that after months of living adjacent to the brothel things were shaken up – literally. One evening a drunk Pakistani drove his car into the brothel. Later the driver told authorities the ramming was a protest by a devout Muslim against the debauchery of the house and its inhabitants. The NGO worker, however, had seen the same car parked peacefully outside the house the night before.

The local sex industry comprised of Pakistani prostitutes has also grown in recent years. One can easily find videos on YouTube that show unabashed red-light areas of Lahore. The videos display house after house with colorfully lit entranceways always with a mamasan and at least one Pakistani woman in traditional dress. The women are available for in-house services for as little as 400 rupees (US$6) to take-away prices ranging 1,000 to 2,000 rupees. These districts are mostly for locals, but foreigners can indulge at higher prices.

Foreigners in Pakistan have no trouble finding companionship and may receive rates similar to locals in downtrodden districts. More upscale areas like Lahore’s Heera Mundi or “Diamond Market”, cater to well-heeled locals and foreigners. At these places prettier, younger girls push their services for 5,000 to 10,000 rupees for an all-night visit, and the most exceptional can command 20,000 to 40,000 rupees for just short time.

Rumors abound online that female TV stars and actresses can be hired for sex. “You can get film stars for 50,000 to 100,000 rupees but you need good contacts for that,” one blogger wrote after a trip to Lahore.

“The Lahore, Karachi and Rawalpindi sex scenes are totally changing and it’s easier and easier to get a girl for [sex],” another blogger wrote. “Most of the hotels provide you the girls upon request.” Bloggers also reported that it is easy to find girls prowling the streets after 6 pm, and foreigners can find young women hanging out near Western franchises like McDonald’s and KFC. Such women, the bloggers claim, can lead the customer to a nearby short-time accommodation.

Short-time hotels offering hourly rates can be found all over major cities, underscoring the profits being reaped by the sex industry.

Pakistan can also accommodate the gay community with prostitution. Unfortunately, this has also given rise to child prostitution.

A Pakistani blogger wrote, “We [ethnic] Pathans are very fond of boys. [In Pakistan] the wives are only [had sex with] once or twice a year. There are lot of gay brothels in Peshawar – the famous among them is at Ramdas Bazaar. [One can] go to any Afghan restaurant and find young waiters selling sex.”

As in many societies, access to technology, the Internet and mobile phones has only facilitated the sex trade in Pakistan. “Matchmaking” websites serve the male clientele, while providing marketing for prostitutes.

The root causes of prostitution in Pakistan are poverty and a dearth of opportunities. Widows find themselves on the streets with mouths to feed, and for many prostitution offers a quick fix. A local Pakistani prostitute can earn 2,000 to 3,000 rupees per day compared to the average monthly income of 2,500 rupees.

Forced prostitution is not rare. Women in hard times are often exploited and pushed into prostitution. Sandra (not her real name), said that after the death of her father she was left alone; friends and relatives deserted her after the grieving period. As a middle-class, educated woman she was surprised to find herself forced into prostitution from her office job.

“My boss initially spoiled me at first,” she told Khaleej Times. “[But] now I am in [the sex industry].” Sandra first thought her boss was being gracious, but quickly learned he was grooming her for sex for his own pleasure, and then acting as her pimp.

Many of Pakistan’s contemporary sexual mores may have evolved from traditional practices. For example, the polygamy permitted in Muslim society stemmed from the need for larger family units, the better to support familial ties and tend for widows. Until such ancient customs are updated, women such as Sandra will continue to be bought and sold.

It’s time for Pakistan to admit that prostitution is doing a roaring trade within its borders, and will continue to prosper until it is addressed in a modern manner. Let us hope that the people and government of this proud Muslim country will stop pretending the problem simply isn’t there.

William Sparrow has been an occasional contributor to Asia Times Online and now joins Asia Times Online with a weekly column. Sparrow is editor in chief of Asian Sex Gazette and has reported on sex in Asia for over five years. To contact him send question or comments to Letters@atimes.com.

Filed under: culture, sex, Society · Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

304 Responses to "In Pakistan, a Sex Industry Has Begun to Boom"

1. ali rza Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

pakistan

2. ali rza Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

3. ali rza Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

jis ki shadi na ho rhi ho ya koi problem ya bemar ho mujh sy rabta kr skty hn . tawiz bzrea dak bhe mungwa skty hn. koi fees nhin.03045003970

4. tania Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

hi i am tania from lahore plc contact me 03462700853

5. shabi Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

Hi i am Shabi. i want to any relation with girls. so plz contact me. my number is 03433497253 or my id(h.usmankhalid@yahoo.com)… i am waiting for u…

6. khatija Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

i want sex plzzzzzzzzzzz i am 13 aged gal somebody have me!!no.0515705533 my name is khatija just call me on saturdays from 8 to 12

7. huma khan Pakistan Unknow Browser Unknow Os says:

Its a reality. I have also been analyzing rising sex affairs in Pakistan and came to know the realities. I have also interviewed and found many Pakistani wives involved in extramarital affairs in Pakistan.

8. Adnangreat Pakistan Unknow Browser Unknow Os says:

hello i hop thy are will be fine and the think is that i want make’s some relation with pakistani defance aunties and my contact nomber is
    phone .03212043207
    phone.03132461524

9. like Pakistan Internet Explorer Windows says:

aoa. agr kisi koi koi bemari hai aur wo elaj k liye ziada paise nahi kharch sakta to plz. muje email send kre. email k through sasta homoeopathic elaj kia jae ga..

10. Nousheen khurshid Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

Mera nam nousheen hai peshawar main rahti hon swabi ki hon aur mujhe sex karna acha lgta hai koi intrested hai to meri aag thandi kar de main ne bohat admiyo k sath sex kiya lekin aag thandi nahi hui agar koi aisa hai to plz plz plz contact me 03149874525 plz jaldi contact karna main town main rahti hon plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

11. SEO Company Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

My Name is sami, Im from Lahore. Koi Lady ho jo meri help kr ske to mujhe call kre; i want to know something. please. aj kl mujhe buhat ajeeb feel ho rha he; krne ko dil chah rha he; please

12. SEO Company Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

contact me +923234223945
    Please Yaar koi help kre;
    I am from this company, SEO COmpany

13. Sadiq Afghanistan Internet Explorer Windows says:

My name is Sadiq. I extremely looking forward to have close relation with those girls who can trust me for thier secrecy & satifaction. My Cell Number is 03159538632.

14. zain ul abideen Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

hell is every 1 ok out there. looks like every1 is just looking for sex and a 13 year old?? r u serious?? n sorry nousheen in peshawar u might find gays but no men to fulfil ur desires find some place else.

15. Kiran United Kingdom Google Chrome Windows says:

Hi, I’m 15 years old girl & still virgin. I need a handsome boy or man to lose virginity with. I feel really ashamed of being a virgin when all of my other class mates are not.

Plz call me if you can help

03479166280

16. Hussain Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

I am 19 year old boy student of Intermediate offering all services of MENTAL & PHYSICAL SATISFACTION to ladies of any age’s, round the clock!!!

My Services Are:

1. Head to toe Special MASSAGE.
    2. Sex MASSAGE of all kind.
    3. Back MASSAGE for Backbone n hips joint.
    4. Sucking n Licking Services is also available with 100% guaranteed Satisfaction.
    5. Breast MASSAGE (for breast enlargements)
    6. Leg’s Massage.
    So I am just a call away from you!!! Just dail 0334-2444959 (Usman) and make an appoinment for you….(Karachi Only)
    Note:- All calls and details would be kept in full Secrecy, So Dont worrie get goin!!!!

17. A.Ahmed Pakistan Internet Explorer Windows says:

I am male….want some female…if you are interested in earning pls contact me…..0345-4670551

18. kashifff Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

hi all male here singl here lahore pakistn

19. kashifff Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

hi any ladies wana friend ship in lahore call me 03238896956

20. Aamir Pakistan Internet Explorer Windows says:

jis girl na pussy licking . fuck . boobs suck . ksiing etc karwani ho call kara 03004169651 . my name is Aamir . age 25 / city lahore

21. MilesToGo United States Safari Mac OS says:

This is jewish saajish. All the posters above are RAW agents in Pakistan.

22. imran malik Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

hi frndz my name is imran and my age is 28 i lived in Rawalpindi i love to sex with aunties with big boobs if any aunty is interested to have sex with me plz contact me at 0315-5032889

23. max Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

helloo guys this is me max i belong to afghanistan 22 years old now in peshawar pakistani any kind of girl contact me for sex i have big dick as donkey Aww :) 03339574103

24. khushbakht khan Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

send me ur number just meet & gup shup 0300 7586880

25. khushbakht khan Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

0300 7586880 kahin jany ki zrorat nahi m hn na m active & so hard hr hd s gzr jana mjy acha lgta h

26. khushbakht khan Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

bolyn

27. Sohail Zai Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

i need true friendship, any Girl, Woman Friendship with me
    now call me. my Contact No # 0322-2386994
    I am Sohail Zai From Karachi

28. I want to bring a very critical issue in you kind notice.
    Please see the comments posted by people on article in your blog http://pakteahouse.net/2008/07/20/in-pakistan-a-sex-industry-has-begun-to-boom/comment-page-5/#comment-89054
    Most of the comments are abusive. The most critical thing is that they are mentioning other people’s contact/cell numbers and people started calling them and abusing them.
    Kindly Moderate these types of comments and please please delete all the comments which contain phone numbers.
    One of the number mentioned is of a lady in my family and i have blocked the sim due to number of unknown calls.

29. Saint Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

Bohat he frustrated or Deen se giray howay logon k comments hain ye……Dajjal in its followers have succeeded in their mission…..intihayi afsoos ki baat hai logon k number dayna aur bewaja tang kerna………apnay Deen ko samjho

30. khan Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

i just want to fuck any descent girl. just call me 03336020750 and got me in multan and near there.

31. Pankaj India Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

WOW I did nt know that this thread ALSO EXISTED
    Never seen this thread
    Carry on Pakistanis
    After all Pakistan TOPS the world in Internet search for Sex

32. dr arif Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

hay
    I am doctor of sex any girls want to loose her virginity
    of hymen break without pain or your husband is week i wll give him medicine he will be abble to satisfy her wife plz do not hesitste contact me at
    lovelyboyarifatratyahoo.com

33. It’s in point of fact a great and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

34. Nabeel Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

any lady wana friendship with me i m from lahore. my cell number is 0321-4097263

35. aatish Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

hi to all beautiful ladies i m 4 u plz cont me 03065062647, 03336718630. from peshawar to rawalpindi.

36. usman Pakistan Internet Explorer Windows says:

ANy F from DHA LAhore..msg me kool_kaka2@yahoo.com

37. shahida Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

asslam o alaikam please look that this is not an islamic website as people have described their ideas. afsos ki bat ha larkian b aisa khud karti hain.

38. king Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

hi i want a lonely girl if she is not beautifull it dosnt matter.
    for long time ralation
    i will love and take care all time
    only one lucky girl is neded from rawilpindi pakistan
    conntect is 03315364147 only for sms

39. ahmed imran Pakistan Internet Explorer Windows says:

i am strong boy by professional i am finance manager in a multinational co in islamabad i want secret sex realation for any girls/auntee please contact me ahmed.naseem27@yahoo.com

40. uzair khan Pakistan Opera Windows says:

any girl want me message me

41. kashif Pakistan Mozilla Firefox Windows says:

Hello Dear , Its me KASHIF from Khi 34 years new, doing job and looking for mature and honest person for friendship. singingbirds_1976@yahoo.com:smilingbirds1976@skype.com or:::0333-2284482 agar ap aisi khaton hain k jo sex main dilchaspi rakhti hain aur aik poshida sex boy friend rakhnay ki aarzo rakhti hain to mujh sy rabta karain,ap akailay ya do aurton ki surat main bhi mujh sy rabta kar sakti hain,pori raazdari k sath apki khwaish k aen mutabik tamam jinsi zaroriat pori karon ga,
    afzaish e nasal ki paychidgi sy bachny k liay aala quality k condoms ki saholat sab mojod hy, cam mic sab kuch hy meray pas,pehly main apna face dikhaon ga taky dil sy ye dar nikal jay k main kahien apka koi janny wala to nahi. 0333-2284482. If u r intrested than reply me and u can write me on (singingbirds_1976@yahoo.com) about it. I will wait for ur reply in this regard either YES or NO what else u like to do. Wish u best of luck and Take care.

42. sahil United Kingdom Opera Mini Unknow Os says:

Helo guay iam 25 years old from Afghanistan now in Pakistan Peshawar and wana a nice boy for sex. My contact is . Love72313@gmail.com

43. khurram Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

mainey sex karna hai kabhi bhe kisi ladki ka mood ho to contact karo
    03345009647 waiting for girls

44. lion king Pakistan Safari Unknow Os says:

hello aunties this is and for u for seducing and making love i am a professional gigloo good in for nights ful of passion a confidential privete service so aunties u can cal freely for my pics and details charges will be told upon call 03445555330

45. Pyree khan United States Netscape Navigator Unknow Os says:

Any women in kpk sms me

46. gay verstyle Pakistan Google Chrome Windows says:

verstyle gay here 25 looking for young boy under 20 …call me 03318845912

47. I personally blog likewise and I’m creating something related to this excellent blog, “In Pakistan, a Sex Industry Has Begun
    to Boom | Pak Tea House”. Would you mind in the event that I actuallyincorporate some of your
    own suggestions? I appreciate it ,Josie

48. m.usmanali Pakistan Internet Explorer Windows says:

ase kam nahe karne chahye